Note: zoey + joey does not treat lice and we are unable to perform a service if lice is found.
Lice is a fact of life, especially when your child starts school. You may get the dreadful “there has been a case of lice in your child’s classroom” letter home from your child’s teacher. Getting lice is common, is nothing to be ashamed of, and lice actually prefer clean hair. At zoey + joey we see an increase in lice cases in late summer and early fall at the start of school.
Tips on how to prevent lice:
Teach your kids to avoid sharing hats, sweaters or hairbrushes. Lice cannot jump but will transfer from direct contact.
- Check your kids’ hair, especially behind the ears and at the nape of the neck. Be on the lookout for itchy scalp and red spots. Note: if you do find lice, remember that it will usually be very subtle, and may be hard to spot, or may be mistaken for something else.
- Don’t mistake a dry skin flake (dandruff) for lice. A flake will come right off the hair shaft, but a nit (or lice egg) is sticky and will be hard to remove.
- Use natural anti-lice shampoos and sprays containing tea tree oil or rosemary. At zoey+ joey we sell Rosemary Repel Shampoo + Conditioner
- If your daughter has long hair, consider sending her to school with braided hair.
- If your child gets lice, zoey + joey sells Lice Good-bye, an all-natural treatment.
We also recommend visiting Rapunzel’s Lice Boutique, http://rapunzelslice.com.